Friday, February 16, 2007

Quilty stuff

It has been a really long time since I've been in my sewing room. I've been so tired after work and then get sucked into the internet and before I know it bedtime is here. Well I decided this week I would get back in there.

I joined the Stashbuster Yahoo! group last week and have been inspired to work on some UFO's. I wanted to get going on a quilt I started cutting fabrics for months ago, the Cinnamon O's pattern. I bought the fabrics for the quilt in a kit from the Fat Quarter Shop, a webstore I love to go to. Kimberly, the owner, has all kinds of fat quarter bundles of Moda and other manufacturers. It's a bit dangerous for me! I decided to make the quilt a bit smaller than the pattern calls for, since I prefer not to piece my backing, and like smaller quilts because they are easier to handle when quilting.

The kit included one fat quarter from each design of each colorway. There are five colorways in the Cinnamon Stars fabric line: red, aqua, light green, tan, and brown. I needed two 3.5 inch strips from each fat quarter, then cut into 3.5 inch squares. I finally finished cutting all my 3.5 inch squares tonight. I'm exhausted! Next I have to cut the 2 inch squares from the background fabric, which I got tons of. Looks like I will have a bunch left over. My wrist hurts from rotary cutting.

Hopefully I can cut the strips I need over the next week and get to piecing, which is ultimately more fun than cutting. Its a beautiful pattern and I can't wait to finish it to see how it comes out.

No comments: